Thursday, June 21, 2007

Things get underway.

The weather was crummy today. Rained from about 11am on, which wasn't a big deal since I was inside all day, but still. I'd rather look out the window and see sun than rain.

I've all of a sudden got a lot of work on my plate. I forgot I was working for a consulting firm first and foremost; it doesn't matter what they are consulting about, the intensity of the work is the same. Also, people have been giving me assignments that are taking longer than they would if I knew what I was talking about. I thought I understood carbon trading, CDMs, but there are so many technical components that I would never need to understand as a lobbyist or a legislator or policymaker, and I don't yet understand any of them. Maybe that's not fair; I'd probably need to know a lot of the intricacies to be a policymaker. But it feels like I've been pushed right in, and I don't know how to breathe underwater yet. I'll probably be fine in a few days.

I met a few more of my collegues today. It's so funny; the office is really quiet most of the time - no music, little chatter, everyone working very seriously and intently. We use email and Skype as the primary means of communication, so people Skype-chat back and forth instead of calling across the room. But then, lunchtime! Everyone eats together, pays into a pot and they order sandwich stuff from the grocery store each week. It's really communal and great. In any case, this is when peoples' personalities shine. It's a male-dominated office; I brought the total number of women at the table up to four, today. I guess there aren't that many more guys, but they are much more raucous then the women. Typical consulting-firm antics, I guess? I think it's so great, though. No matter how much work everyone has (and I'm sure there is a lot of it) everyone takes a half hour to chat, laugh, eat, talk about ridiculous things. It's really human.

Then, after lunch, a Skype-chat popped up on my screen, with the message, "Are you Jewish? And don't think that's a weird question, because I'm Jewish, too." It was one of my co-workers, a red-headed Canadian. A red-headed, Canadian JEW. I replied, "Yup", trying really hard to not to laugh outloud in my now-silent-again office. JEWSPOTTED! Everywhere I go. It's completely ridiculous. I don't even look that Jewish!

Unfortunately, my coworker lives in Amsterdam, so I still am faced with going to Synagogue by myself tomorrow night. I biked by after work today to make sure I knew where it was, and I only got a little lost. It looks like a charming building.

After work I got the cell phone that they gave me at work activated, at the urging of my "supervisor" Jessica (which worries me - they gave me a phone, pushed me to activate it, does that mean I'm on call always?). I then went grocery shopping and tried to make pasta and tomato sauce. It turned out well enough, but it didn't taste like Paul's sauce, no matter what I did. Where did I go wrong?!

I've plans to bike to Delft on Saturday if it's nice out. It's a ten-mile ride, and it'd be a great day-trip. There are a whole bunch of towns within a ten-mile radius of Den Haag, and Delft is supposed to be a really cute, old-style town.

Then, Sunday is the biggest pop festival in Europe, right in my backyard! It's called ParkPop, and it's on the other side of Den Haag, in a big (you guessed it) park. So, I missed out on Bonnaroo, but THIS is free, one day, and only a tram ride away.

I suppose this post is long enough. I'll update again soon, with more pictures, hopefully!

1 comment:

Chelsea's Dad said...

Hey there,

Weather here isn't much better now but was gorgeous today. Scott and I drove to Montauk but he wasn't feeling very well and slept much of the way. Can you find a biking partner for your adventures? I'd be at least a little cautious until you get the lay of the land. Your workmates seem like a good bunch - and the Canadian is not the only Jew in Canada - I worked with the other one at Hirsch. Where in Canada is he (or she) from? Time to go to sleep - it is 11:52 here and is almost tomorrow. Not sure how that corresponds to your time zones. Have a good night - Love you, Dad (is that too personal for a public blog?)